The Civil Surface (1974) ...A posthumous album, but recorded specially by the reconvened group members, to use up unrecorded stage pieces. Guests include Steve Hillage (guitar) and Lindsay Cooper (wind instruments), and the vocals of Amanda Parsons and Barbara Gaskin (of Spirogyra) combined with Dave Stewart's signature organ sounds make this sound like a proto-National Health ...
Quite charming ...
- Dave Stewart - organ & piano, bass on (6)
- Mont Campbell - bass, vocals, French horn, piano
- Clive Brooks – drums
- Steve Hillage – guitar (5)
- Lindsay Cooper – bassoon, oboe (1,6)
- Tim Hodgkinson – clarinet (1,6)
- Jeremy Baines – flute (1)
- Amanda Parsons – vocals (4)
- Ann Rosenthal – vocals (4)
- Barbara Gaskin – vocals (4)
- Mont Campbell – French horn
- Maurice Cambridge – clarinet
- Stephen Solloway – flute
- Chris Palmer – bassoon
"The complex writing—episodic tracks filled with complex meters, rich harmonies and tight arrangements, as well as some strong solos—bears an unmistakable link to Hatfield but, with Campbell's rigorous classicism an equal part of the equation, it still sounds like Egg. A number of guests—including bassoonist/oboist Lindsay Cooper and clarinetist Tim Hodgkinson from Henry Cow, and The Northettes (Amanda Parsons, Barbara Gaskin and Ann Rosenthal), who lend their near-angelic voices to the pensive "Prelude"—also expand Egg's textural landscape considerably." ... allaboutjazz.com ...