Wednesday 4 June 2014

Barbera Morgenstern

Fjorden  (2000) ...

German indie electronica artist, with a breakthrough album Fjorden ... The treated samples remind of Moby, but the whole sound is more organic, with a clicky glitchy background from Pole (Stefan Betke)...  Instrumentals intersperse songs with lyrics and it's a record you should hear the whole of in one sitting.  Favourite tracks are Eine Verabredung (from the previous years ep), Der Augenblick, and the opener Tag und Nacht ...

Tag und Nacht ... 

Monika ...

"After a long period of playing in bands, singing in an acapella-band and having bad experiences with major-label-deals I started to concentrate on my own songs. An old friend of mine (Joe Tabu) started to organize concerts in his living room (in 1996) to make the atmosphere during a performance more concentrated and intimate, to keep the focus on the music and to have the possibility to perform without being well known or having much publicity.
As a member of the so-called Wohnzimmer-Szene (livingroom scene) I did my first record Enter the Partyzone a cassette with 6 trash keyboard songs on it. After that things developed slowly but constantly. We did a tour with all the bands who got known by their concerts in the living room and that was the point when we realized that the whole thing was over cause playing in clubs was not the idea, but on the other hand we wanted to play and reach people.

I did a second album in 1997 - Plastikreport -on a small german Label called Klub der guten Hoffnung a label based on the idea of networking, selling the records at concerts and supporting each other (e.g. organizing concerts for labelmates). Parallel to this Gudrun Gut founded her label Monika Enterprise a small independent label. She released the first Wohnzimmer Compilation and a lot of the bands of the Wohnzimmer Szene (Quarks, Contriva, Komeit). I released my first full-length album in 1998 on Monika Enterprise - Gudrun Gut had discovered me on a Wohnzimmer concert - and from this moment on I started touring through Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
My next album was Fjorden (Monika Enterprise) in 2000 and after that Nichts Muss on Monika (2003) - in collaboration with Labels because I started to play throughout Europe as well (UK, Spain, Portugal, Italy , Scandinavia, Poland...). I did lots of concerts with the fabulous Berlin electronic band To Rococo Rot and Stefan Schneider´s Mapstation with them I discovered the european audiences. In April 2002 I released an EP on Domino Recordings (Series 500) including 4 Tracks I did together with Robert Lippok (To Rococo Rot)..."

 Barbera M's soundcloud.com ...

allmusic.com ...

No comments:

Post a Comment